The course is intentended to provide the exposure to the need and use of various contemporary materials in creating innovation and ultra-performance in building design.
It offers an understanding of characteristics and performance of the newer materials in terms of detailing and application to the context.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 7
- Introduction and need for ultra-performance materials in building design as a substitute to conventional materials. Newer application for special performance, thermal/ sound/ moisture protection, fitting, equipment and furnishing. Properties of contemporary materials – multidimensional, repurposed ,recombinant ,intelligent , interfacial, transformant, etc.
UNIT II ADVANCED CONCRETE AND COMPOSITE REINFORCEMENT 10
- Types of advanced concrete and its applications. Workability and mechanical properties, durability and reliability of advanced concrete materials. Manufacturing and application in buildings. Bendable concrete, light transmitting concrete, translucent concrete, pervious concrete, eco-cement, etc.,
- Introduction to manufacture, types, properties and performance of new reinforcement materials in concrete – Aramid fibres, bio-steel, carbon (Graphite) Fibres and fibre glass etc.
UNIT III COMPOSITE MATERIALS 10
- Types, terminology and classification of composite materials based on particle reinforced, fiber reinforced, structural and composite benefit in building construction. Composite materials manufacturing process. Use of composite materials namely Polymer Matrix Composites (PMCs) and
- Fibre- Reinforced Polymers (FRPs) along with cement, steel, aluminium ,wood, glass, etc., for thermal insulation, fire protection, coating, painting and structural monitoring, etc.
UNIT IV NANO-MATERIALS AND NANO-COMPOSITES 9
- Definition, manufacture and types of nano materials. Properties, performance of nano materials in building construction, types and application of nano-materials like carbon, nanotubes etc., Nano composite used with cement, steel, aluminium, wood, glass for thermal insulation, fire protection, coating and painting and structural monitoring etc.. Nano technologies in building and construction.
- UNIT V DIGITAL AND TENSILE MATERIALS 9
- Types of materials and its constitution, manufacturing and construction technology requirement for 3D printed buildings structure and Extraterrestrial printed structures. Tensile fabric structure by digital printing. Translucent fabric, thin-film photovoltaics, texlon foil, PVC (poly vinyl chloride) coated polyester cloth and PTFE (poly tetra fluro ethlene) (teflon) coated glass cloth.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- Exposure to the need and use of various contemporary materials in creating innovation and ultra-performance in building design.
- An understanding of characteristics and performance of the newer materials in terms of detailing and application to the context.
- Christiane Sauer, ‘Made of…New Materials Sourcebook for Architecture and Design’, Prestel Pub, 2010.
- Mel Schwart, ‘Encyclopaedia of Smart Materials -Vol 1,2’, Wiley-Interscience, 2001.
- Senem Özgönül Şensan, ‘Smart Materials and Sustainability: Application of Smart Materials in Sustainable Architecture’, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, 2010.
- Axel Ritter, ‘Smart Materials in Architecture, Interior Architecture and Design’, Birkhäuser Architecture, 2002.
- Michelle Addington, & Daniel LSchodek, ‘Smart Materials and New Technologies: for the Architecture and Design Professions, Architectural Press, 2005.
- F. Ashby, Paulo Ferreira, Daniel L. Schodek, ‘Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies and Design: An Introduction for Engineers and Architects’, Butterworth- Heinemann, 2009.
- Blaine Brownell, ‘Transmaterial 2’, Princeton Architectural Press, 2008.
- John Fernandez, ‘Material Architecture: Emergent Materials for Innovative Buildings and Ecological Construction’, Taylor & Francis, 2006.
|UNIT 1: INTRODUCTION||00:00:00|
|UNIT 2: ADVANCED CONCRETE AND COMPOSITE REINFORCEMENT||00:00:00|
|UNIT 3: COMPOSITE MATERIALS||00:00:00|
|UNIT 4: NANO-MATERIALS AND NANO-COMPOSITES||00:00:00|
|UNIT 5: DIGITAL AND TENSILE MATERIALS||00:00:00|
No Reviews found for this course.